Thursday, February 16, 2017

Thursday

Yesterday we took a long drive in the new SS. Longmont to Lyons then Hwy 7 up to the junction of Hwy 72 - the Peak to Peak Highway which we followed to Nederland. Then down into Boulder and back to Longmont.

We started with the top down because it was warm. But into the ride, at about 8,200 feet of elevation and snow on both sides of the road, we put the top up. The top came back down when we hit Boulder.

The car handles exceptionally well on the curvy up and down mountain roads. It is quiet and solid. I was surprised to find that the automatic transmission is smart. Going down some steep hills it downshifted on its own to use engine braking to slow us. I did not have to go to manual mode to downshift. At first it was disconcerting, but when I realized what it was doing I was pleased.

Yesterday I also worked on cleaning and organizing the garage. It had gotten out of hand. It is much better now but still needs some effort. We now have yellow balls hanging from the ceiling over each car to direct us in and let us know where to stop. No more guessing. Looking at the floor I am wishing that we had it sealed. I suppose we can do that anytime. 

Chemo update. This week the itching that developed the other day has spread to my inner thighs and lower back. My lower back began aching yesterday. This morning I woke to a sore on my inner lip, though I am taking pills twice a day to prevent this. The neuropathy is continuing with tingling in my fingertips and an increase in numbness in my feet. On the positive side, I have plenty of energy and am sleeping well, though shorter hours. Before chemo I had bouts of temperature spikes in the late afternoon, those are gone.

This afternoon Sharon cut my hair off preempting the chemo taking it - though what is left will be gone soon enough.

 

Tomorrow we head to Aurora and the UC Health cancer center for blood tests and a visit with a nurse practitioner. This visit is mostly to ensure that my white blood cells are doing ok. I suspect they are, and I would bet my hemoglobin is up also.

A story about my dream vehicles. In 1963 while with my parents on a trip to California, we stopped at a motel in either New Mexico or Arizona. In the morning I was walking around the parking lot and spotted at 1962 Chevrolet Impala SS with a 409 badge on the fender. I was in awe at the beauty of the car and the fact that it was a 409. Since that time I have always wanted one. I finally have my SS but it is a 2017 and a Camaro and doesn't have a 409 but darn close at 376 cubic inches, and a lot more power!

 
In the later 60s I lusted for a 60s VW convertible. I liked the running boards and thought the car was quite cool. I never had one.
 
Finally. A 1972 VW Westfalia camper. I came so close to buying one but got an Opel Rallye instead. I should have gotten the VW and I have wanted one ever since.
I'll never have any of these, but I am quite content with what we have in our garage now.

Below is a view of Longs Peak from a couple of weeks ago. I really enjoy waking up and watching the sunrise pink glow on these mountains. The view is almost always exceptional.

 

 

1 comment: