Sunday, February 12, 2017

Sunday Thoughts

This winter in Longmont we have found the humidity in our house to be way too low. We resorted to simmering water on the cook top and leaving water in the bath tub. It helped but we could not get above about 27% humidity in the house. Before the holidays I attempted to contact a contractor to install a humidifier and never got a call back. I tried again in January, no luck. Last week though I saw a recommendation on "Next Door" the local on-line bulletin board and contacted Wright Heating and Air Conditioning. Josh was out here on Friday and installed an Aprilair whole house humidifier. We are in business. We are up to about 30% humidity in the house this morning and it feels much better. I'm sure our floors and our furniture will be happier too.

Longmont wind! Friday morning the wind was howling here. Steady wind at about 18mph and gusts over 50mph. Our outdoor furniture was flying. I collected one chair and put it on the porch and while getting other things that chair took off, went around the side of the house then across the street and down the alley. As I ran to get it neighbors pots were passing me. There were semis blown over on I-25 and up in the mountains on I-70. Trees and telephone poles were down in Longmont. Those downslope winds can be fierce. We have a green belt and creek behind our house and the wind seems to funnel down there. Our heavy gas grill has blown off the porch several times and I now have a 2x4 bumper screwed into the concrete to stop the madness of a rolling grill. I built a outdoor cabinet for the porch and put it on rollers. No more rollers because the thing kept blowing off the porch. Who knew winds would be like that here? Most of this has been this winter, we will see what spring brings. It was not a problem this summer. 

Last night we met friends in Boulder at Zolo for dinner. We had a very nice time and some delicious food. My whole grilled trout was perfect, and because I still have most of my taste buds I was able to fully enjoy it. This little group of three couples and occasionally one other gets together for dinner at a local restaurant at least once a month. It is a good tradition!

Because chemo whacks white blood cells and they are needed to fight infection, I had a Neulasta injection on Friday. Last time I did chemo I thought the Neulasta was the worst part - causing severe bone pain as it did its thing with my bone marrow. This time has been quite bearable. The nurses at UC Health recommended that I combine the Neulasta with Claritin because for some reason Claritin helps mitigate the side effects. I have been on Claritin and ibuprofen and doing fine with the bone pain. It is there but not constant and quite bearable. On a pain scale of 1-10 I feel I have been about a 5 at the most. Other than that my chemo reactions continue to be mild. I pee a LOT. I've got a bit of discomfort in my abdomen. I have had some increase in neuropathy. All the pills I take can upset my stomach. These are all easy. Knock on wood that we will continue on this track. Sharon is cutting my hair off today  because by the next session it will likely start to fall out. I hope I don't lose my eye lashes and eye brows as I did last time. The chemo can have my head hair and my ear hair but I want eye brows!

I am sitting at the island as I type and Sharon has gone off to Boulder to Orange Theory for a workout. She really has enjoyed going there, well except when she broke her wrist! When she left she drove the new Camaro. I was impressed with the engine sound when she fired it up this morning. That big V8 sounds nothing like the Miata 4 cylinder. The Camaro has a 6.2L engine. The Miata was 2.0L. Quite a difference.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment