Friday, August 5, 2016

And More!

Yesterday I worked on the waterfall and am pretty happy with the results. I also spent a bit more time on irrigation and now all pots in the back are covered. I am learning a lot about installing drip irrigation. Fish? Done and gone. I took a water sample to Petco and they declared the water to be good. However, they told me that their feeder fish come in with nothing to normalize the water temperatures. In the summer especially the feed fish have been terribly stressed and have little chance of surviving. I am going to let the pond rest for a while. I put in some more beneficial bacteria and added additional filer media to the filer falls. This will hopefully help stabilize the pond water. This weekend Sharon and I will look for pots and plants and next week I will order more rock. The pond continues to be a work in process.

Yesterday I watched a male house finch on the bird feeder and a male goldfinch on the nyjer sack. I know that at least a couple of birds know we are here. Perhaps they will spread the word. Today I built and filled a bird dust bath. I will now wait and see if birds will use it. I have not seen any birds using my bird bath area of the pond. I just have to be patient.

We now have all of our solar shades up in the house and on the patio. As summer comes to a close we are ready for summer. Our house is coming together. We still have unpacking to do in the office/bedroom upstairs and I have to rebuild the desk. I built it for the attic in Glen Elllyn and designed to to hold two full size PCs and monitors. It is way to big now and needs to be shorter and shallower. I also have to build the murphy bed for that room. We are waiting for nightstands for the master bedroom and our comfy chairs for that room. Then there is the big job in Sharon's office of book shelves and cabinets. With those we can unpack all the boxes in there.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment