Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Our house as recorded by the Pinwide pinhole lens. This is a fun little lens that makes pinhole photography easy. In the past I have made pinhole cameras out of boxes, oatmeal cartons, and even a refrigerator box. I made a very nice one out of wood and used a 4x5 film back as the film holder. Sadly I lent this to a fellow COD student several years ago and that was the last of that!

With film pinhole cameras you exposed the film, guessing about the exposure and the composition. It wasn't until you got into the darkroom and developed your film, mostly regular photo paper, that you discovered what you have created. Using a digital camera changes all that! I can now see my composition as I set it up, and then as soon as I have exposed the image, I can see the results. This frees me do do lots of pinhole experimentation. No darkroom time - just look at the camera back and then later on the computer screen. Very satisfying!


Above are wine bottles at Binny's - also shot with the Pinwide. Quite a different look from this:


Which was shot using the EP-2 and 14-42mm lens. While using the glass lens provides more sharpness, it has a much shorted depth of field and give the image a very different feel. There are some subjects that will work well with the Pinwide and some that will not. I am looking forward to shooting in Paris with the Pinwide. I can see the Eiffel Tower now as I will photograph it in May.

Oh, I let the cat out of the bag? No, I think I mentioned Europe in May in an earlier blog. Yes, we are going to Paris, Riems, Barcelona, Sitges. We will a week with Katie, Jorge, Aliza, and Jason in Sitges. Good fun with good friends. And, besides wonderful food and wine, I will have many opportunities for great photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment