Thursday, January 10, 2013

Awed by Technology

Tonight I watched a NOVA PBS show on Neanderthals. As I was amazed at the DNA sequencing technology in the show I was also amazed at how I was watching it. I was streaming the video wirelessly from my iPad to our Apple TV box connected by HDMI to our flat screen TV. The data I was streaming to the TV came wirelessly from our router connected to the Internet through old fashioned copper wires connected to fiber optic cables about 100 yards away. In 1985 data through copper phone wires moved at 300 baud. I could read text as it slowly scrolled across my Kaypro computer screen. Now I am watching video on a 48 inch LCD screen at a resolution of 1080p at 30 frames per second. This is all just freaking amazing!
A little over 100 years ago my grandfather was one of the first licensed wireless radio operators in Texas. I wonder how he would see where we have come since then? What will we see in the next ten years?

No comments:

Post a Comment