Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Travel Photography - f8 and be there.

I often feel the need to find ways to improve my photography while knowing that the best thing I can do is just get out there and shoot. But just shooting is not enough for me. I want to read. I want to look at photographs. I want think about and ponder how I approach photography. I do enjoy looking at other's photography and reading other photographers. With that input I feel I can enhance my vision.

Photographing while traveling is difficult for me. I want to record what I am seeing, I want to record the people I am with, I want to record what we are doing. And, I feel I can do all that. The problem is that I want it to all look wonderful, with perfect composition, perfect lighting, perfect exposure, perfect point of view, and interesting shots. But somehow I feel I come up short. There is also the issue of being with people who are just looking and not photographing. Sharon is very good at dealing with me on this. She knows that sometimes I will just stop and look and then lift the camera to photograph something - and not just one shot from one view, but several from different points of view. Then after shooting during the day I pull the memory cards from the cameras and load the images onto the computer and critically look at what I have accomplished. There are times I am pleased. But, there are many more times when I wonder what was it I saw and what was I thinking? I find great joy in a image that is "right" and disappointment when I fail.

Today in my quest to practice, I shot a few things in downtown Glen Ellyn while waiting for a shop to open. I should be doing this every day, but I don't. You cannot get the shot if you don't have the camera. In the few shots of Glen Ellyn I had a few I liked and the rest were just O.K. "record" shots. I was feeling bad until I read this Suzanne Williams blog entry found on Steve's Digicams. It spoke to me and told me everything would be fine! Just relax and have fun with your photography.

If you know the basics of proper camera operation; how to hold the camera, how to focus, the basics of composition, the basics of lighting and exposure, you will be fine. Photograph what moves you and delights you.


There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams


If you see something that moves you, and then snap it, you keep a moment. - Linda McCartney


No comments:

Post a Comment